Kale - Cavolo Nero
Organic Cavolo Nero Kale - U.K.
Kale is back in season with this dark Italian favourite that every body should be eating 'Cavolo Nero'. Here is some info about the nutritional benefits of Kale & a cruelty free recipe for Vegan Pesto.
Synopsis of the health benefits of Kale
- Kale contains 17 times more Vitamin C than Carrots
- More Folate than Brocolli - Folic acid is a B vitamin that has a role in normal formation of blood, and supports the immune system to function normally
- Nearly double the Magnesium of Spring Greens
( Based on 100g raw - McCance & Widdowson's 'The Composition of Foods' )
Contains Zeaxanthin & Lutein
These are important in helping to resist AMD ( Age Related Macular Degeneration) which is the major cause of blindness in the Western World, this is especially true for women over 60.
- Lutein - an anti-oxidant which helps keep the eyes healthy.
- Lutein is not 'made' in the body and can only be obtained from food sources.
- Kale contains 76mg lutein per kg, Broccoli which has 17mg, Carrots contain 2 mg per kg
- Experts recommend we should eat 6-10mg of lutein each day.
- Zeaxanthin - is a powerful, natural antioxidant that protects the eye by absorbing damaging blue light and reducing glare. Blue light can cause harmful oxidative stress in the eye and protecting cells and membranes by reducing harmful free radicals.
- Zeaxanthin is not "made" in the human body and must come from food
( Beatty et al 1999; Nolan et al 2007 - Analysis by Leatherhead Food International )